Saturday, March 19, 2011

Inside, Outside

Inside outside...  Leave me alone...
Inside outside...  Nowhere is home...

I've never been an insider, even growing up in my home town.  I got on Facebook last year because I had found a family we lived next door to in Germany, but couldn't contact them without joining, so I did.  Next thing I know, all these people I grew up with were pinging me and I'm wondering why.  Can they really be that damned bored?

If I were interested in their lives, I would have looked them up when I go back to see the folks. 

I'm not an outsider either, but I am somewhat of a lone wolf.  I've lived so many other lives, awkward kid and misplaced adult being just a few.  Sometimes, being an American walking the streets of a foreign capital can feel comfortably inside, other times it can be very outside...

Thank God Raymond Davis is now outside Pakistan and back inside Colorado...


4 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

Growing up in foster homes, I have always been an outsider. I now prefer it, but it does make it difficult for my daughter. She dearly yearns to fit in.
I tried fitting in, it didn't work so I stopped trying! My husband says I'm "on a different level". I know what he really means! His wife is odd. LOL!
Is what it is!

Always On Watch said...

I am avoiding using Facebook. Lord knows that students can reach me by other methods.

As for former colleagues, if I haven't kept in touch with them over the years, I don't want to be in touch with them.

BB-Idaho said...

Facebook? Gee, I'm still stuck with a landline phone!

Silverfiddle said...

I think it's good for kids to learn how to be independent and not get too hung up on "belonging." We have enough herd mentality is this country.

Facebook is generally a waste, but I love YouTube, because you can find videos like the one above. It was made by a Who fan.