Friday, February 27, 2015

What are we Afraid of?

Midnight Mist: Miguel Virkkunen Carvalho

As it turns out, the number one fear we have is... walking alone at night, at least according to a survey by Chapman University

  1. Walking alone at night
  2. Becoming the victim of identity theft
  3. Lack of safety on the Internet
  4. Being the victim of a mass/random shooting
  5. Public speaking
The One Thing Americans Fear Most

I found that surprising, city or country I like walking at night alone or with company.  In fact none of the things on the list really bother me at all.  Public speaking used to be a fear of mine but after being forced to do it repeatedly it doesn't really bother me much at all (that's called exposure therapy by the way, although my exposure came through life not in anything formal).   I'm not particularly phobic about anything that I'm aware of, bugs, spiders, snakes, heights, flying, thunder/lightning, none of your standard phobia subjects are anything that bother me. I stumbled onto this study after reading a story about cetaphobia, the fear of whales, certainly an odd one yet one that supposedly hundreds of thousands suffer from.  Perhaps I'm just lucky, how about you?


No comments: