Saturday, January 8, 2011

America's Hunters

Teach you children to hunt and kill God's tasty creatures
Another e-mail gem courtesy of Papa Silverfiddle, who taught me to hunt, kill and dress God's tasty creatures. I have passed his wisdom on to my kids.  There's nothing like watching a kindergartner squealing with glee as she caps off .22 pistol rounds...

The point at the end is a good one, but this also reminded me of the old chestnut, "Guns don't kill people, criminals who have no business walking free kill people."




Here's the text of the e-mail...

This blogger adds up all the hunters in just a handful of states, and comes to a striking conclusion:  The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed.

That's great. There were over 600,000 hunters. Allow me to restate that number.

Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world, more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.

But that pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week.  Michigan's 700,000 hunters have now returned home.  Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia, and it is literally the case that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

His point?
America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer.  It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies foreign and domestic want to see us disarmed.   Most of all, Our Government

9 comments:

Always On Watch said...

God bless America's hunters!

One of our best friends keeps supplied with venison those members of my family who are unable to afford much right now due to unemployment.

I have to say that my cousin "C" really knows how to cook venison. She lived in Minnesota for years and discovered the best recipes.

And your point about home-grown firepower is a valid one. Our Founders clearly knew what they were doing when they wrote the Second Amendment.

Silverfiddle said...

I thought I was a pretty good e-mail. Wish I had written it myself.

Anonymous said...

As a life long hunter. Amen!!!

Anonymous said...

>America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

That reminds me of a quote by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (commander of the Japanese navy during much of World War Two) that I posted on my blog last July. He said:

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

Let's keep it that way. (Or, behind every cactus, in my case.)

BB-Idaho said...

Good for Wisconsin deer hunters! Born and raised in the northwoods, I remember one year the angry
farmer up by Menominee whose mule got terminated by nearsighted (or tipsy)
nimrods, even though the farmer had painted MULE on its side. Nailed the critter atwixt the U and the L. :)

Pamela Zydel said...

Yeah Pennsylvania!

And I mean it. If not for the Hunters, we'd be hitting deer with our cars every other day!

Trekkie4Ever said...

I was rather shocked when my dear husband forgot to inform me that he and his family were/are avid hunters when we got married.

I was an activist for animals before I had met him.

After 17 years being married to hunter, I still cannot comprehend the need for it or why he loves it so much.

I believe most hunters are responsible and take the sport very seriously.

God bless them all.

Silverfiddle said...

Leticia: It's a primal thing, I think. Long ago we were all hunters.

My real point is that "guns don't kill people, people kill people"

I'm glad your marriage survived the little bump in the road!

Trekkie4Ever said...

How right you are.