Thursday, March 3, 2016

The 2016 Libertarian Debate





Yes, we had one.

Gary Johnson is center and to his immediate right is John McAfee... yes, that McAfee.

I am familiar with John McAfee's story, and yes he's a bit out there, but I really liked his closing remarks that run 31:05 - 31:58

Give Gary Johnson a listen at 11:50 - 13:05 for his take on Islamic fundamentalism and the distinction between Islam as a religion and Sharia as a political system.

Good News/Bad News: In 1999 I was the highest ranking elected government official to call for the legalization of marijuana. Bad news in 2016 I am still the highest ranking elected official to call for the legalization of marijuana.      ~ Gary Johnson

As a marginal party the Libertarian Party certainly seems to attract a fringe element, everything from Austin Petersen issuing letters of marque and reprisal against Islamic terrorists to Darryl Perry refusing to take the oath to uphold and defend the constitution because he wants to disband the union.  Then again, one could just as readily categorize Bernie Sanders as a fringe element, in that he certainly isn't mainstream DNC.

My support for Gary Johnson stems not from devotion to the Libertarian Party (I'm a libertarian not a Libertarian) but from his two terms as the Republican governor of New Mexico during the time that I lived there.  What I can say is that I can no longer and will no longer support the Democratic and Republican parties, as Gary Johnson says in the debate... the system is rigged.  

Take a half hour and give them a listen, you undoubtedly won't like everything they say, heck... I don't like everything they say, but give it a shot.

 

No comments: