Thursday, April 7, 2016

Self-Driving Cars

TESLA Model 3
From Tesla to Google Self-Driving Cars are coming. Would you buy one? Ride in one?

They practically drive themselves already with collision avoidance, lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, blind-spot information systems... all that remains is hooking the navigation system to the steering box.

Our new car has collision avoidance... theoretically it won't let me rear-end anyone or drive into a stationary object, although I haven't had the cojones to test it.

Tesla offers Auto-pilot: an adaptive cruise control/lane keeping assistant that can even be instructed to change lanes for you.  No hands on the wheel, no feet on the pedals. 

Business Insider estimates there will be ten million self driving cars on the road by 2020.  Would you be comfortable sharing the road with them?  Would you even know they were driving themselves?

For me, with a 40 mile commute to work each way it's tempting, kick back in the seat and listen to music, maybe read.  I don't think I'm ready to close my eyes, climb in the back seat and take a nap yet.  What about you?

No comments: