Monday, February 11, 2013

A Storm Called Nemo

Jeff Kubina

The Weather Channel

The National Weather Service names tropical systems,  The Weather Channel has decided to start naming winter storms.

When I started researching this, I figured that it was the National Weather Service that gave us Nemo,  I was a little surprised to find it wasn't, given that all the networks seemed to be referring to this past blizzard as Nemo.

Why?

The Weather Channel gives five reasons for naming winter storms:


  • Naming a storm raises awareness.
  • Attaching a name makes it much easier to follow a weather system’s progress.
  • A storm with a name takes on a personality all its own, which adds to awareness.
  • In today’s social media world, a name makes it much easier to reference in communication.
  • A named storm is easier to remember and refer to in the future

 

 NEMO?

What struck me first about Nemo as a name for possibly the worst blizzard to hit the northeast in years was the silliness of the name.  It wasn't Jules Verne's Captain Nemo that first popped into my head, but Disney's tiny little clown fish in Finding Nemo.  Now, I might take a storm named Vito or Mick seriously, but I couldn't help laughing at Nemo.

So, what do you think about naming winter storms?

Any good winter storm or Nemo stories?  I'm jealous, I live 9200 ft above sea level and we've got maybe an inch or two of snow on the ground.  

 
Cheers!

~Finntann~   


No comments: