Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day

For God and the soldier we adore, 
In time of danger, not before!
The danger passed, and all things righted, 
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.”

Attributed to Rudyard Kipling, although probably far older - also attributed to Francis Quarles (1592-1644), used in a speech by John F Kennedy Nov 26, 1962.


Here's to the Blue of the wind-swept North
When we meet on the fields of France,
May the spirit of Grant be with you all
As the sons of the North advance!
 
 Here's to the Gray of the sun-kissed South
When we meet on the fields of France,
May the spirit of Lee be with you all
As the sons of the South advance!
 
 And here's to the Blue and the Gray as One!
When we meet on the fields of France,
May the spirit of God be with us all
As the sons of the Flag advance!  

George Morrow Mayo


Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate:
 "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. 
And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, 
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods

Thomas Babbington Macauley


I KNOW that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,        
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds, 
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind 
In balance with this life, this death.

 W.B. Yeats

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Robert Laurence Binyon


I bid you stand, Men of the West


No comments: