Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bigger, Wider, Stronger, Lighter

Motor Trend
"Bigger, wider, stronger, lighter", that's the quote from Peter Reyes the 2015 Ford F-150 Chief Engineer.

Steel frame, steel firewall, and an all aluminum body equates to up to 700 pounds weight savings (in the largest models), and a corresponding payload increase.

Gone is the massive 6.2 liter V-8, the default large engine choice is now the 5.0 and the vehicle stock engine is now a 3.5l V-6 downsized from the former 3.7l.  Also available and considered the
"top engine" choice is the 3.5l Ecoboost and a new 2.7l Ecoboost, both V-6's


I'm a bit skeptical about a full size truck with a 2.7l engine, but apparently unbeknownst to any of us, Ford ran a 2014 model stamped from aluminum with the 2.7l Ecoboost in the 2013 Baja 1000 race.  I'm still skeptical though.

I've been contemplating another pickup truck, my last truck was a Dodge Ram 2500HD but the one before that was an F-150.  My Ford had no problems, my Dodge lost the transfer case just barely (less than 1000 miles) under the 3/36 warranty.  I've said before I'm not buying a Government Motors vehicle, and I am hesitant to buy an Italian pickup truck, so I've been looking at Fords and the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan and leaning towards the Fords.

Jeep, regrettably now also an Italian car company, doesn't seem to be forthcoming with their FC Concept.


What can I say, I'm utilitarian and live 9000 feet above sea-level.

NY Daily News

Road and Track

Motor Trend

Car and Driver Jeep FC

No comments: