Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday Sessions: The Avett Brothers

Is it right for a man to love another man?

I am in love with the Avett Brothers.  They've been releasing music for over ten years, but I just discovered them a few years back, thanks to a friend of my oldest daughter.  There may be hope yet for her generation if some of them are listening to such soulful and genuine music.

Their latest release, Magpie and the Dandelion, saw the song Another is Waiting get some good airplay (on the alternative station, anyway, which is all I listen to), and the album reached #1 and has been on the Folk chart since its debut 22 weeks ago.

Here is what I think will be the next hit from that album:



They inspired me to take up the banjo again, and my only regret is that I can't get any of the other musicians in my family to pick up the guitar, banjo, or fiddle, and I can only play one instrument at once.  My son is into classical, but he can play a good doghouse bass, and my youngest daughter stubbornly clings to the piano and stopped trying to learn guitar because it hurt her fingers.  To her credit, she does want to play fiddle, but her arms are still to short for a full size, and that's all we have in this house.

Anyway, we have fun singing their songs together, and we sound pretty good, and she can knock out a pretty good keyboard solo on Family of the Year's song, Hero, which we also sound pretty good on.

Here's an Avett Brothers interview that gives you a good picture of who they are and where they are coming from:

No comments: