Tuesday, June 17, 2014

It's futbolístic

US defeats Ghana 2-1

I have to admit I'm not the world's, country's, or even county's biggest soccer fan.  I wasn't even all that interested in it when my wife was playing competitively at the state level.  Sure, I went to her games, but it was about as interesting to me as watching paint dry.  My kids also played but there's something just not right with a game that can end 0-0.  Believe it or not, I've never even played a game.  Growing up it was Hockey, Football, and Baseball in that order, perhaps a game of stickball here and there.  Soccer was the game the immigrant kids (mostly Greek) played.

I work with a woman whose daughter plays well enough to have colleges courting her and there are a few other fans in the office, so once again the World Cup is on TV in the office everyday.  Sure I'll stand up and check out the replays, but frankly I'm not that interested.  Soccer in America has an image problem, it's improving, but it's still a problem nonetheless.  One executive even asked why people were watching it, "it's not an American sport".

So what about you?

Do you watch? Do you care?  I've lived in England, I even lived in Korea when they co-hosted the cup with Japan (best thing that came out of that was street signs in English), but I just can't seem to muster any excitement over the games. Right now the best thing I can say about it is it's not politics... it's futbolístic.

 

No comments: