Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Watercooler Chatter

Some viewers may find content offensive


Now I don't usually defer posts for pop culture events, but it seems that all anyone was talking about Monday morning was the Miley Cyrus performance at the VMA awards.  I don't listen to Miley Cyrus, or Robin Thicke for that matter, and I didn't watch the VMAs... but this video was unavoidable, no less than five people asked if I had seen it and offered to show it when I said no.

There is no want of commentary on it, practically all of it negative.  From disgusting to disturbing, to my favorite... "I just think I threw up in my mouth a little bit".  Some attribute it to the jarring contrast with her Disney persona, Hannah Montana, but I've never seen Hannah Montana so it couldn't be that.  I have no objections to sexy or sensual dance, unfortunately this was neither.

The general consensus of men 25-60 that I have spoken to is pretty much a unified WTF?  It was the worst of everything all rolled into one.  No one I have spoken to has found it in any way attractive, arousing, or even entertaining.  The collective horror seems universal.

My wife pointed out to me that I corrected my then 15 year old son a few years back for calling Miley Cyrus a slut... I stand corrected, and formally apologize... I also apologize for exposing all of you to... this.

What are your thoughts? 

Come back tomorrow for a discussion of chemical weapons.

No comments: