Wednesday, September 28, 2016

A Public Service Announcement

In today's day and age with all the incidents of identity theft and fraud I was rather surprised to hear about this but here it is for one and all.


Believe it or not the states of Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah, and Washington all provide their voter registration rolls to this website registered by Godaddy.com. 

I was surprised when it was brought to my attention that my full legal name, date of birth, home address (with handy accompanying Google map), phone number, etc. were all available online to anyone, whatever their purpose, to use as they see fit; Try to persuade me to vote for Hillary or perhaps just open a Macy's card so they can buy their little woman pretty things.

I did a little playing around and now know Silverfiddle's full middle name (if I knew it before I must have forgotten, but I know it now!).  It also listed his wife and daughter.  I looked up an old buddy of mine from Rhode Island and can assure you he's a decent man... as he has both his parents living with him (a fact I didn't know until I used this website).  

Now yes, in many states voter registration rolls are public records... but the laws governing such things are ancient and decrepit, predating felonious people taking out credit cards in your name, all online without benefit of Id checks or any of that silly nonsense.

If you live in one of the states listed above it might be beneficial if you were to log in, search yourself, click on your name... and when the page comes up, scroll down to the bottom and opt-out.  They will ask for an email address, but I keep a valid one handy that I never go into for just this very purpose... giving nosy people an email address that they will accept while never having to be bothered with it again. This won't get your name off the website but it will at least reduce your address down to your town/zipcode, get rid of your phone number, and reduce your date of birth to only the year.
 

No comments: