Thursday, September 25, 2014

Eat your peas OR ELSE


Seattle 

Seattle city council votes to start fining residents and businesses for wasting food.  $1 per can for residents, $50 per month for businesses.

BBC
Seattle Times
Seattle Clerk

Ostensibly this is to encourage composting... can you imagine what Seattle, a city of 650,000 people will look and smell like in five years with a 100% compliance rate.  Now I know that composting doesn't smell if done right, but this is Seattle we're talking about here, not to mention the abundance of wildlife this is likely to attract.  Trash will be inspected, and if it contains more than 10% food waste the fines will be imposed.

This also begs the question of how Seattle's finest sanitation engineers are going to be able to tell 9% from 10% or even 11% from a cursory examination of one's garbage, last time I checked sanitation engineers weren't the finest mathematicians in the world.

Me, I'd just start peeing in my trash, I might still have to pay the fine but I'd be able to do so with a deep rooted sense of satisfaction.

No comments: