Sunday, October 26, 2014

Why I'm voting for a Democrat

Irv Halter, Maj Gen, USAF (Ret)


I try my best not to vote by pulling a party lever, I take a rational analytic approach to voting and have crossed party lines in voting for who I believed to be the most qualified candidate in local elections.  I believe Irv Halter is the most qualified candidate and I can live with his positions.  Irv Halter will be my first cross-party vote in a federal election.

As Irv Halter said "I didn't leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me".  I can understand and empathize with that position.  Irv Halter was a Republican, then an Independent, and now he's running as a Democrat.  I'm not voting for Irv Halter because he's a Democrat, I actually dislike the fact that he's running as a Democrat, I'm voting for Irv Halter because of his positions on the issues.  It's kind of funny, but the one and only comment on the CPR website is that Irv Halter seems to have a much more solid conservative grounding than his Republican opponent, a position I tend to agree with.

Now I have to be honest, if this were the Senate race, I wouldn't be voting for Irv Halter, in that case I would be voting against his party rather than voting for his opponent.  Chances are Irv Halter isn't going to get elected, but even if he does the Democrats aren't going to take control of the House.  I'm willing to give Irv Halter the chance to live up to his campaign positions and buck the left-wing of the Democratic party.  I may be proved wrong, but it's a chance I'm willing to take.

Clap me on the back or kick me in the ass, your choice.  Agree with me or attempt to persuade me otherwise, but in my opinion Doug Lamborn is the epitome of everything wrong in Republican politics.  I'm voting for Irv Halter because of his positions and because Doug Lamborn is a Putz.  Frankly, I'm sorry that Irv Halter is running as a Democrat, he should be running as a Republican, but the days of voting for someone because they have a D or R after their name need to come to an end. 




No comments: